Friday, November 4, 2011

Paul Rodgers 'Would Be Open' to London 2012 Reunion With Queen

Paul Rodgers says he's heard the rumors about him reuniting with Queen for a performance at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. But that's as far as it's gone, he says.

"No one's actually approached me yet," Rodgers, who worked with Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor from 2005-2009, tells Billboard.com. But he adds that he "would be open to something like that, I must say. (Queen + Paul Rodgers) did great. I think we did fantastically well. We were up against potential disaster, really, and I think we really pulled it off. Toured the world a couple of times. Made a brand new studio album (2008's 'The Cosmos Rocks'). I just didn't want to do it forever...But for something like (the Olympics), that would be ideal."

Rodgers also gives his thumbs-up to the Queen Extravaganza, the tribute band the group, spearheaded by Taylor, is assembling. "It'd be very interesting," Rodgers notes. "Anybody who tries...is going to have their different take on it. Nobody's Freddie (Mercury), and they're all definitely going to have their own take."

While waiting to find out if the Olympics become a reality, Rodgers is certainly busy with his own endeavors. He's recently released three home videos and CDs chronicling concerts from throughout his career: "Paul Rodgers & Friends Live at Montreux 1994," featuring guest appearances by May, Journey's Neal Schon, Toto's Steve Lukather and blues heroes Eddie Kirkland and Luther Allison; a Blu-ray edition of "Live in Glasgow" from 2007; and Bad Company's "Live at Wembley" from the group's April 2010 show in London. Combined, Rodgers says, they allow him to get a full perspective on his 43-year recording career.

"When I play solo, that's when I put it all together," he explains. "I go through all of the songs that I've written wtih all of the different bands; that, for me, tells its own story, and the DVDs really enforce that." Rodgers adds that, "In the past, I did separate them...I didn't even think, really, about doing songs from the previous bands. I just moved on. Now I'm at the time of my life that's sort of retrospective for me. I think the songs have been the lifeblood...so when I do play, I'm able to put all of the songs from the different bands together. It's the same guy, you know. They're like different chapters of my life, actually."

Speaking of chapters, Rodgers says he's thinking about writing a book documenting his adventures with Free, Bad Company, the Firm, the Law and others, as well as his solo work. He also hopes "to make a solo album at some point in the future, of completely new songs, when I get all the material together." And Rodgers says he's been approached by the Smithsonian Institute about a blues project that would include performing, recording and filming with musicians in the American South.

Rodgers next scheduled public performance is a Dec. 3 show at the Venue in Chichester, England, a benefit for the Racehorse Sanctuary Re-Homing Centre with the Deborah Bonham Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment